It was a depressing week for me personally in the NFL. First, my Saints lost to the winless St. Louis Rams in a disappointing loss that took me back to the Days of Ditka. Compounding this sadness was sitting through an entire NFL game with Chris Myers and Tim Ryan while watching your team lose to a winless club. Let's hope this week's Dickies nominees are enough to lift my spirits...
As to how the Straight Outta Stockton vote works, each week we'll nominate 15-20 quotes for you to pick the best 10. The winning quote of the week will earn that person 10 points all the way down to 1 point for 10th. Remember, you can vote for your favorite five quotes. Here are your Week 8 nominees...
1A) "And right now the crowd is saying 'Release the Kraken'!" - Dan Dierdorf (via sa9273)
1B) "And the Kraken is on the loose." - Dan Dierdorf (via CK29). He sure loves his Kraken...
2) "I'm trying to guess run or pass but I'm wrong on every play" - Phil Simms (via jackbutler505)
3) "When you get DeAngelo Williams in there, you can bang it around in the insides." - Daryl Johnston (via bjo109)
4) "St Louis will try to spread them out here and then slide it in." - Tim Ryan (via bjo109)
5) "And a timeout is called for delay of the game. Excuse me." - Dick Stockton (via ClarkbarTweets)
6) Al Michaels: "Herremans is like the Swiss Army Knife of offensive linemen."
Cris Collinsworth: "I called him a tool in the meeting earlier." (via BloggerJustinF)
7) "Ted Turner takes the timeout" - Mike Tirico (via Frigidevil)
8) "Ponder thinks about Harvin. Harvin doesn't have to Ponder the throw. That sets up the veteran, he's been around a LONG time, Ryan Longwell." - Chris Berman (via CK29) in rapid succession on The Blitz
9) "That was very well put, but i have no idea what he said." - Brian Billick (via bjo109)
10) "Stafford handing off to Maurcie Morris. Faking it and throwing it." - Dick Stockton (via Dascenzo)
11) "Bills in Toronto, there's the Space Needle." - Dan Patrick (via bjo109)
12) "You've got to get fresh with that top hand and ride that center" - Jon Gruden (via CaptTouchback)
13) "Quarterback Ron Fitzgerald, Buffalo, he will reward that Buffalo franchise for giving him that contract. Big day..." - Terry Bradshaw (via AlexFromBuffalo) Just all wrong.
14) "Matt Cassell is a winner" - Jon Gruden (via ThisisERV) with this week in sports cliches.
15) "Cliff Avril picks the ball up on the interception and goes in for the touchdown." - Dick Stockton (via Dascenzo)
16) Jim Nantz: "What a heads up play!"
Phil Simms: "Well, that's illegal." (via several)
17) "You know what NFL means? The National Fake You Out Leauge" - Tim Ryan (via Chris)
Vote For Your Week 8 Dickies Nominees! (vote for up to five)
The winners will come Thursday morning so make sure you vote early and often and check back for the full NFL Week 9 announcing sked later this week!
Actually at a $5 CPM, the 500,000 views of the video would only equal $2,500 in ad revenue. At that amount, your point is even stronger that their policy is archaic.
At least the NHL has been smart about this, you can find multiple teams with highlight packages on youtube, and these guys are independent fans of various teams, like CanucksHD and FlyersinHD. Even the NHL has multiple Youtube channels and have even posted classic games in whole on Youtube. NHL has it right, they understand to grow your sport that you should use any technology that is available, not subject everybody to a commercial for every clip you wish to see.
there really isn't any good explanation here. If baseball was thriving and doing well and not having the older audience problem, sure make some money.
However baseball has major problems and this only makes it worse. Get busy living....or get busy dying.
I'd love to know who exactly calls the shots at MLB. Most marketable footage of your sport is nowhere to be found.
@jimmytraina just tweeted two interesting things.
1- The World Series lost in younger demos to Jersey Shore last week.
2- The Jack Buck call has now been pulled from Twitter. Just ridiculous
i looked for the clip last night and kept finding articles that didn't have the clip up anymore. You're right.
@awfulannouncing why is Buck "beleagured?' Because you & like-minded tweeters say so? OK, let's have Gus Johnson exhaust us in 2 innings.
@awfulannouncing Agree wholeheartedly and thank you for writing that.
@davegoldberg84 When Gus Johnson starts calling baseball games, then you might have a point.
@davegoldberg84 i do think it'll be interesting to see whether or not last night turns the tide of opinion just a bit with Buck though
@davegoldberg84 to each his own... would've been interesting to hear Gus' take on that late inning drama
@awfulannouncing I'm not huge Buck fan, but he fits slower tempo better than a Gus. Best BB announcers usually team guys. (Gary Cohen)