Honestly, between you and me, I thought Gary Danielson's quote would be a runaway winner this week. However, I can't complain with the sheer genius of this week's winning quote. The official analyst of the dark side of the force, Craig James, is turning this year's Pammies into a runaway after Pam dominated the early season standings. He takes top spot and fourth place this week as last year's Pammies champ Chris Spielman makes his first appearance. The envelope please...
10) "You are hearing Rocky Top the national anthem of Tennessee" - Verne Lundquist (via many)
9) "What a good get off he had." - Matt Millen (via sjwest86)
8) "The Tigers need to win two games, but they can't do that without a victory tonight."- Charles Davis (via KSJ49) during ALCS promo
7) "I knew right away because it felt different under there." - Gary Danielson (via sjwest86) on accidentally lining under a guard
6) "When Cousins is hot, he's the best passer in the game." - Dave Pasch (via bjo109). Kirk Cousins? Really? Really?
5) "I think he did a one handed job right there." - Rod Gilmore (via jamiedupler)
4) "When that USC band started to play, what was the first thing we thought? Trojans." - Craig James (via jasondschwartz)
3) "Tebow would be here tonight, but he's starting for the Broncos tomorrow." -Brent Musburger (via davidreeves9071). Tebow was on a bye. I guess you wouldn't know watching ESPN this week though.
2) "he's a dirty player. i'm not saying he's a dirty player but he's on his way to being a dirty player." - Chris Spielman (via bjo109)
1) "Six Trojans are going to come" - Craig James (via SenatorGiggity)
Week 7 Top 5 -
1) Craig James 75 pts
2) Pam Ward 38 pts
3) Matt Millen 35 pts
4) Gary Danielson 32 pts
5) Brent Musburger 17 pts
Others receiving votes - Beth Mowins 13 pts, Brett Favre 13 pts, Lou Holtz 11 pts, Artrell Hawkins 9 pts, Warrick Dunn 9 pts, Dan Hawkins 9 pts, Jenn Brown 9 pts, Mike Patrick 9 pts, Chris Spielman 9 pts, Sean McDonough 8 pts, Gus Johnson 7 pts, Lee Corso 7 pts, Wendi Nix 7 pts, Steve Martin 7 pts, Tom Cole 7 pts, Jesse Palmer 6 pts, Rod Gilmore 6 pts, Andre Ware 5 pts, Dave Pasch 5 pts, Alex Flanagan 4 pts, Mike Morgan 4 pts, Joe Tiller 3 pts, Keith Jones 3 pts, Desmond Howard 3 pts, Shaun King 3 pts, Charles Davis 3 pts, Danny Kanell 2 pts, Steve Beuerlein 2 pts, Scott Van Pelt 2 pts, Kevin Kugler 1 pt, Eric Collins 1 pt, Verne Lundquist 1 pt.
The Full Week 8 Announcing Schedule will be coming soon, where you can find the dates and times of games and all the announcing pairings as well. Then, make sure you check back every Saturday for the Pam Ward Chronicles and another week of the Pammies!
I found his bitchy diatribe announcing to be profoundly annoying! What a complete NAG! So much so that if I hear him on any game in the future I will turn to another game. It takes a real pro to objectively analyze a game.( i.e. Jon Gruden) who knows football but doesn't come off as some condescending rag. He just states the facts as they occur on the field without blatant prejudice. It was crystal clear how much he hates the Raiders and I am not even a Raider's fan! He knows mediocrity when he sees it as that is the kind of QB he was.
I think he is a great announcer if you want in depth anaylyis into the x's and o's of football and what really is going on with the play calling. (ie when he brought up the point that most nfl teams call their red zone package out of the huddle, thus causing the broncos to huddle when they where in the hurry up.) If you dont want this type of information and just want the game dumbed down for you (the point of the game is to score more points then the other team!) then Dilfter is not the guy for you. I personally like to have more information thrown at me, even if he sometimes sound like an ass, but I can see why some people might find him annoying and distracting ("hey this asshole is making me THINK!).
Remind me, who worked the game last year?
I think Dilfer came off as a bit of a d-bag.
What's the verdict on ESPN2's new shows? My take is, Numbers Never Lie can crawl in a hole and die, and LeBatard's show is... interesting with its attempt at a public access vibe.