The highlight of Championship Week was undoubtedly the hilarious, eccentric, hyperbolic, reality-bending commentary of ESPN college basketball analyst Bill Walton. The big redhead's announcing comeback on the national stage has been one of the best developments in 2013 as he's done something few thought possible - made the nation care about Pac 12 basketball. I realize his brand of commentary isn't for everyone, but Walton's unique blend of sarcasm, wit, basketball acumen, and Deadheadedness has always made him one of my favorites behind the mic. He looks, sounds, and acts like no other analyst on television, which is refreshing. This weekend at the Pac 12 tourney in Las Vegas he took his game to an entirely different stratosphere.
From joking about Ray Lewis and Bill Simmons to First Take to his exchanges with partner Dave Pasch and admiration for the Pac 12 as the greatest conference in the history of western civilization and Las Vegas as the most remarkable city within the boundaries of our solar system, it was a tour de force performance from Bill Walton. Hopefully ESPN can find some sort of role for him for their NBA coverage, because I can't imagine having to wait till November to hear from Walton again. Here's his Top 10 quotes from the weekend...
10) “Throw it down big man! One time, throw it down!”
9) "Kazemi has to understand that nobody is going to tell him he has to go back to Iran if he misses a shot."
8) “Fans beyond description! Dancing angels of mercy! What more can you ask for?”
7) “The vision of what could possibly be for the nation’s greatest conference! The conference that has all the records! The conference that has all the perfect demographics, all the cool spots! This event this week has been one of the greatest things I’ve ever participated in my whole life! It went over the top today, because at the MGM Grand, they had a pool party this afternoon. Oh my gosh! The bands were there! The bikinis were out in full force! It was absolutely remarkable!
6) “Beautiful basketball! The Ducks on fire after a poor start a start as you could have! They have somehow come back and have found their way back to the Oregon Trail! Lewis & Clark would be so proud.”
Bonus Dave Pasch Quote
Pasch: “Bill, it’s been a pleasure. Enjoyed it all season, my friend."
Walton: “I’m the luckiest guy in the world. I work for Dave Pasch. Thank you for your patience."
Pasch: “Bill, you complete me.”
5) “I used to be a SportsCenter guy until I found First Take.”
4) “Tonight’s start was electric. Just both teams riding quasars all the way to the top of the mountain to the promised land!”
3) “They’re gonna suspend Bill Simmons. Anything is possible.”
2) “If you ever think you’re too small to make a difference, you’ve never spent a night in bed with a mosquito or you’ve never played basketball against Taylor from Utah, number 11 in your program, number one in your heart.”
1) “I was way in the back with Ray Lewis and it was unbelievable how much fun, oh my gosh, how many people were in there!”
@BaySean That... That is just too good.
Wait...so the nation now cares about Pac 12 basketball because of Bill Walton's ridiculous comments? Which nation are you talking about, btw? It's certainly not the US. Nobody east of Utah gave a rip about it this year.
Oh, and Bill Walton is unlistenable. It's obvious he is playing up to his "eccentric" reputation.
@pmrwx So many to choose from, how can you choose 10? "AND THE LOYALISTS OF OREGON ARE DANCING IN THE SHADOWS OF MOUNT JEFFERSON."
@awfulannouncing "Don't confuse activity with achievement" has to be on there!
@Meaghan_Mc3 That happens to me at the grocery store all the time. My iPhone is making me a crazy person.
@awfulannouncing only 1 that was legit, "In order for this conf. 2 reach its potential, evry1 needs 2 get better. & that inc the officials"
@awfulannouncing Can't believe his John McPhee reference didn't make it.
@loriMwalton Bill is probably all over that site.
@loriMwalton way to go, Bill! Don't call it a comeback!
@chuckyalden I always tell Bill he should have a contest to see how many dead lyrics people can identify in his broadcast
@loriMwalton Is Bill working any of the NIT games?
@MsIngaSpoke Bill has an NIT game tomorrow night for Stephen F Austin versus Stanford
@loriMwalton glad we haven't heard the last of Bill for the 2013 hoops season!!!
@awfulannouncing Also after Jordan Adams inury Walton: "It shouldn't be a problem. UCLA has all the resources known to mankind!"