Thanks to everyone who submitted comments this past weekend. You can vote here or leave a comment below, which will constitute a write-in vote.
1. "You're gonna go the sports psychologist route on me? How hard is it to kick the ball through the uprights?" -- Chris Spielman (via Rick James Bible Owner)
2. "South Carolina's been playing in high definition all day." -- Dave Neal (via Sctvman)
3. "That's like a turnover." -- Dave Lapham describes turnover on downs (via Sctvman)
4. "It's like trying to tackle a quadricep and a pectoral-there's no flat area" -- Dave Lapham, referring to Kendall Hunter. (via Zakk W.)
5. "You need vision." -- Chris Spielman on running backs.
6. "Speaking of ice cream, Barberette the Flavor of the Month." -- Chris Martin (via Rick James Bible Owner)
7. "A helmet flies ... and I hope there's not a head in it." -- Mike Hogewood (via Tom Green - Pittsburgh)
8. "At least initally it looked like he didn't get it..." -- Pam Ward after a first down (via Sctvman)
9. "After 1st and goal from the one, now they will have to punt" -- Verne Lundquist after LSU was denied the endzone on the first 3 downs. (via Zakk W.)
10. "Boren looking for an identity as a receiver, I suppose. 'The Boren Identity.'" -- Matt Millen (via Rick James Bible Owner)
11. Mark Jones said you could see the ivy on the Wrigley walls, when it was an advertising board with pictures of ivy on it. (via KT)
12. "They'll make it really tight. Of course they'd like to score." - Gary Danielson as LSU trails 36-35 with the ball late in 4th (via SkinsCapsTerps)
13. "And it is 3rd and 7 coming up." -- Brent Musburger. The incompletion made it 4th down. (via Rick James Bible Owner)
14. "We let him sit back there and pick his nose." -- Robbie Caldwell on CSS on the lack of defensive pressure on Vols QB Tyler Bray. (via Sctvman)
15. Robert Smith on some shirtless guy at Mizzou-ISU: "That guy looks like an out of shape Will Ferrell."
Wendi Nix: "Isn't that an oxymoron?" Nope, that's redundant. (via Rick James Bible Owner)
16. "It has been a festival of points tonight." -- Roger Twibell
yeah, ESPN sucks, they don't know what they are doing, they lucked into being the number one leader in sports !
Believe it or not, I'm still in the VCR era. I tape ATH, PTI, and the 6pm SportsCenter for the extra PTI segment (and the Not Top 10 and the "4 Downs" debate segments between Mark May and Craig James on Thursdays during college football season... the latter of which I just made sound like the unholy father of today's Skip Bayless-centric First Take).
The ratings bear out what you're saying. When ESPN doesn't have a big event like the NBA Playoffs, more people watch PTI than ANY version of SportsCenter. http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/05/17/wednesday-cable-ratings-nba-playoffs-win-night-duck-dynasty-ghost-hunters-american-restoration-south-beach-tow-total-blackout-more/134636/
I DVR PTI and DLHQ every day. I haven't watched Sportscenter in years. Living in Wisconsin, I know that my teams (Badgers, Packers, Brewers) aren't going to be shown on Sportscenter unless something unusual happens. Meanwhile, every episdoe features yankees, red sox, lakers, heat, etc. Not worth my time.
Ever since expanding to the all-day format, SportsCenter has become a ball of fluff that just keeps hyping the same stories over and over and overplaying minor stories on slow news days. While having an all-day SportsCenter seemed like a good idea, I miss the days when the show was all about highlights and the ACTUAL news stories.
I wish that we could get access to TSN's SportsCentre (as in, the Canadian one) here in the U.S. I saw a bit of it last year when I went to Niagara Falls, and it kicks ESPN's SportsCenter's ass. They actually do highlights of games, and don't just talk about the big teams, big players, etc. And their Top 10 lists kill ESPN's. Imagine that. A sports news show that actually gives you news and information. Y'know, the reason you pay for ESPN. Not to mention the fact that the majority of the SportsCenter anchors suck. Flores, Coachman, and Selva are pathetic, not to mention the fact that Flores is a narcissistic, as I found out on Twitter last September, when he Tweeted me for a critical comment I made about him, and I didn't even Tweet AT him. Van Pelt and Buccigross are awesome, but I just skip it all together.
i stopped waching sportscenter an espn all together years ago.
the porcess started when sportscenter became more about espn and less about sports.
also chris berman is the WORST.
I stopped watching because they are repetitive, relying on Tebow, the Heat etc. to fill the hour. The NFL and MLB networks provide better and more informative info anyway....and Berman drives me crazy. I also DVR PTI for my sports news. They are entertaining and intelligent.
News feeds give me most of the key national stories, and I TiVo PTI to get a little more depth, and maybe watch a little MLB Network. ESPN SC/News comes on when I'm sleepy, since it doesn't really matter if I fall asleep in the middle of Herm Edwards' third Coors Cold Hard Fact.
Everything I want is available online or on a sport-specific channel. Why would I sit through 20 minutes of NBA highlights or 10 minutes of garbage on Tebow just because I like, say, SVP and Buccigross? Sportscenter is just in general a dying model to me.
I disagree on the Neil Everett/Stan Verrett pairing. It's terrible and one of my first realizations that hey, I don't need to make an effort to watch Sportscenter every night.